The Salvation Army has been around in Hedge End since 1904. After a strong presence in the village for many decades, it appeared that our place in the community was reaching a natural end, and in the early 1990's the doors of the hall on Bursledon Road were closed. The only remaining activity was a parent and toddler group that met on a Monday morning. However...

In 1996, young Salvation Army church leaders arrived in Hedge End with a fresh vision. The premises were given a makeover, and "The Gap" was born, a fresh expression of what The Salvation Army might look like. The church grew. There was a buzz about the place, with youth and children's work flourishing. 

By 2008, the building had more or less been condemned as unsafe. An opportunity arose for The Salvation Army to relocate to the new Dowd's Farm Estate. A church of around 40 people began to meet in Wellstead Primary School, where it continued to grow and flourish into a church that is genuinely a mix of all ages, with a strong sense of community. 

After five years in our 'temporary' home construction of a new church and community centre began in March 2013. The keys were handed over on December 2 and in January signage and art work was added and the building was officially opened. 

Within the first months of the centre being opened many activities have begun, run by The Salvation Army and other organisations and individuals from within the community. If you would like a look around then please make contact or drop in. The cafe is open every morning from 9am-1pm in term time (phone and check during school holidays).

  1417